Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Best Rappers (Storytelling) -Eazy

Aight yo before I get started, my homie Brey already wrote out the guidelines for these rappers posts. ITS ALL OPINION so I already know that not everyone will agree, feel free to comment tho lol

Storytelling has always been a big thing with me when it comes to rap. Its most definitely one of my favorite categories. The skill of being able to paint a vivid picture where people from all over, with all different backgrounds, can relate/understand, is just a magnificent talent. Anyone can spit about the money they have or the bitches they pull, but it takes an artist with true skill to be able to spit an actual story through the mic, that the audience can vibe to. With that being said this post is gonna lay out my top 3 storytellers in the rap game.

Eminem


Here's my number one and let me start by saying, I will not argue with any of you niggas...Eminem is hands down the best storyteller in the game. Although his best story tracks may have been driven by hate for his wife, the shit is dope as hell. "Kim" dead ass had me thinking I was an accomplice to a murder b. The description and detail had me feeling as if I was in some way involved. They way he lays out that story track is crazy from beginning to end.  Its similar to a movie where you can't wait to see what's next, each verse has that suspense effect. Its the same with "Stan" and "97 Bonnie & Clyde". He took his situations in life, good and bad, and turned them into straight genius tracks. Em may in fact be a psycho...but homie is definitely greatest in the game at painting the picture. My favorite verse from his story tracks is the first verse from "97 Bonnie & Clyde"

"C'mon Hai-Hai, we going to the beach
Grab a couple of toys and let da-da strap you in the car seat
Oh where's mama? She's taking a little nap in the trunk
Oh that smell? Da-da musta runned over a skunk
Now I know what you're thinking - it's kind of late to go swimming
But you know your mama, she's one of those type of women
That do crazy things, and if she don't get her way, she'll throw a fit
Don't play with da-da's toy knife, honey, let go of it (no!)
And don't look so upset, why you acting bashful?
Don't you wanna help da-da build a sand castle? (yeah!)
And mama said she wants to show how far she can float
And don't worry about that little boo-boo on her throat
It's just a little scratch - it don't hurt, her was eating
Dinner while you were sweeping and spilled ketchup on her shirt
Mama's messy isn't she? We'll let her wash off in the water
And me and you can pway by ourselves, can't we?"


My Favorite story tracks by Em are
  • "97 Bonnie & Clyde"
  • "Stan"
  • "Kim"
  • "The Way I Am"
  • "Guilty Conscience"
  • "Yellow Brick Road"
Nas



Yessir!! Nasty Nas himself...Niggas can say what they want about the homie Nas personal decisions ( -̩̩̩͡˛ -̩̩̩͡ ), but when it comes to the art of storytelling, Nas has this shit wrapped up. My favorite track by far is "I gave you power". If you havent heard it, head over to youtube on the double... When hearing this man rap from the perspective of a gun, a fucking inanimate object, I was amazed. Homie outstandingly personified this gun, gave it actual feelings, a thought process and everything... Made me wanna just put away my choppa right then and there. Here's a verse from the track...

"Always I'm in some shit, my abdomen is the clip
The barrel is my dick, uncircumcised
Pull my skin back and cock me, I bust off when they unlock me
Results of what happens to niggas shock me
I see niggas bleedin runnin from me in fear, stunningly tears
Fall down the eyes of these so-called tough guys, for years
I've been used in robberies, givin niggas heart to follow me
Placin peoples in graves, funerals made cause I was sprayed
I was laid in a shelf, with a grenade
Met a wrecked-up tech with numbers on his chest that say
Five-two-oh-nine-three-eight-five and zero
Had a serial defaced, hopin one day, police would place
Where he came from, a name or some sort of person to claim him
Tired of murderin, made him wanna be a plain gun
But yo I had some other plans, like the next time the beef is on
I make myself jam right in my owner's hand"


You may sit back and front like its a simple task but lets be real, some of you still cant pee without the toilet seat up b... Nas is dumb underrated and if you disagree then jump over to your local music pirating website, download It Was Written and make plans to change your top 5.
My favorite Story tracks by him are...
  • "I Gave You Power"
  • "One Love"
  • "Undying Love"
  • "Last Real Nigga Alive"
  • "Rewind"
Lupe



For some reason, Lupe has had the hardest time getting his foot into the door of the rap game. Although he spits flames people just weren't accepting him, homie even said he was gonna quit a couple times. Im glad he didn't because Mr. Kick, Push himself has definitely solidified himself as one of the greatest storytellers in the game. I cant lie I don't really fuck with Lasers like that, but The Cool and Food & Liquor are fucking classics... The Cool is probably the greatest collection of story tracks that I've heard to this day. Lupe has a dope gift of putting himself in other people's shoes and telling the story from that point of view. "Little Weapon" shows a great display of the homie's skill. Peep the first verse...

"I killed another man today
Shot him in his back as he ran away
Then I blew up his hut with a hand grenade
Cut his wife throat as she put her hands to pray
"Just five more dogs, then we can get a soccer ball"
That's what my commander say
How old - well I'm like ten, eleven
Been fightin since I was like six, or seven
Now I don't know much about where I'm from
But I know I strike fear everywhere I come
Government want me dead so I wear my gun
I really want the rocket launcher but I'm still too young
This candy give me courage not to fear no one
To feel no pain and hear no tongue
So I hear no screams and I shed no tear
If I'm in your dreams, then your end is near"


 I wont go any further about this mans narrating genius because I know how kids hate to read these days, I will throw you a heavy arsenal of dope story tracks to listen to though...
  • "Little Weapon"
  • "All Black Everything"
  • "Hip Hop Saved My Life"
  • "Kick, Push II"
  • "The Coolest"
  • "Superstar"
  • "Gotta Eat"
  • "Intruder Alert"
  • "Cool"
Its been real... feel free to comment with your top 3, long as you don't come with any outlandish shit like Soulj...nvmind
Oh yea...and remember... if her twitter bio says "Free Lil Boosie" she's a heaux...#Fact
Im out
~Eazy (@Tha_FreshPrince)

1 comment:

  1. Yoooo how you gonna list top Nas story songs and leave out 'Rewind'. Definitely one of the most creative story songs ever made. And Immortal Technique is a dope storyteller too...Idk about top 3 tho. Great post overall

    ReplyDelete